SUSI 2009 Activities
*SUSI Study Tour
Approximately five days of SUSI will be devoted to travel to sites that will enhance the quality of the academic and cultural content of the program. The following sites are scheduled for the 2009 SUSI:
- Alabama Constitution Village in Huntsville
- U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville
- Huntsville City Government
- State Black Archives Research Center and Museum, Alabama A&M University
- Alabama State Courts
- Alabama State Government in Montgomery, Alabama
- National Voting Rights Museum and Institute in Selma, Alabama
- Lowndes County Interpretive Center, Whitehall, Alabama
- Visit to Elvis's home, Graceland, in Memphis, Tennessee
- The Opryland Hotel in Nashville, Tennessee (a tour, not an overnight stay)
- Meeting with the Amish in Ethridge, Tennessee
- The First Amendment Center in Nashville, Tennessee
- The Carter Center in Atlanta, Georgia
- CNN Studio Tour in Atlanta, Georgia
- World of Coca Cola in Atlanta, Georgia
These site visits will be interspersed throughout the duration of the Institute.
SPECIAL EVENT: An Evening of American Blues
The UAH Office of International Programs & Services will host an evening of American Blues with Microwave Dave and the Nukes. The concert will begin at 7:30 pm on Friday, July 10th, 2009, in the Chan Auditorium of the Business Administration Building on the UAH Campus. This event is free and open to the public. Sponsored by the UAH Office of International Programs & Services in conjunction with the Study of the United States Institute, Academy for Educational Development, and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. Department of State.
*Community Service and Service Learning
To appreciate the importance of volunteerism in a democratic civil society, you will be assigned short-term, community service activities. To assist the university’s students, UAH works closely with a variety of community service organizations that would be appropriate for the students: University Place School, Salvation Army, Huntsville Botanical Gardens, Huntsville Museum of Art, EarlyWorks Children’s Museum, Constitution Village, Habitat for Humanity, Huntsville Hospital, and St. Vincent DePaul. You will have the opportunity to participate in volunteer activities with some of these organizations about once a week.
What is Service Learning and how is it different from volunteering? Click HERE!
*Study of the United States Institutes for Global Student Leaders
Washington, DC Conference
From July 29 – Aug 2, you will travel to Washington D.C. to meet with the U.S. State Department, the Academy for Educational Development, and the other SUSI student leaders from around the world who participated in the Study of the U.S. Institute at other institutions this summer! You and your fellow SUSI students from UAH will present your final projects during the conference, and you will participate in a cultural fair that showcases your country and your culture! The UAHuntsville SUSI staff and student Ambassadors will help you prepare for your presentations.
Huntsville/Madison County Convention & Visitor Bureau's Calendar of Events